Thursday 22 August 2013

Aditya Rane : 324 (160 Q,164 V)

GRE Experience:

324 (160Q,164 V)

Background: Exactly on 5th july, which marked by 21st orbit around the Sun, overlooking the beautiful scenery of Marine Drive in the close confines of Pizza by the Bay, I had my Lakshya moment, where I realised everyone around me was either going the CAT or the GRE way. On 7th July, I started my preparation for GRE, with all guns blazing, and I hope this post helps you to attain your desired score.

Disclaimer: This post is going to be really lengthy, as it reflects everything that I did over the past 45 days. The sole purpose of this post is to inspire many of you to score much better than I did and get into your desired colleges. I will strongly recommend you to grab nachos, chips or whatever is your poison while reading this. I have included around 5 GRE WORDS (in caps, in context) in this post, it might make you remember those words and help in the AMELIORATION (see?:D) of your vocabulary. 

MOCK TEST scores:

Barrons1: (one month before preparation) 319
Kaplan 1: 330
Kaplan 2: 326
Manhattan 1 (free test) 328
Princeton review 1: 322 ( gave it at 3 am, will explain why ..further)

Powerprep
PP1: 326
PP2:324

GRE: 
Quant: Really twisted, tough. I had never seen quant twisted to such an extent, in any of the tests I had given including the two powerprep ones. I had three quant sections and couldn’t really identify which was the experimental one. Besides the powerprep, magoosh and NOVA math bible offer the closest experience of GRE quant. 

Verbal: Verbal RC’s were obscure as usual, codecoax.com , magoosh and Manhattan offer the best practice for Verbal. I had done barrons 4000 list, that helped me for SE and TCs. But, at the same time, I would explicitly state that almost none of the OBFUSCATING words that I studied were there on the test. The test relies more on words in context and which is the best fit. Use the high frequency lists of barrons, Kaplan or do the 500 Manhattan essentials.

Books, Online Prep,Tests : 

1) NOVA for QUANT: finish it in a week. It has sums STRATIFIED in different difficult levels, in an increasing order. There are few tricky sums, but if you want to start from scratch one of the best books, with really UNEQUIVOCAL explanations. 

Manhattan Verbal Strategy guides: 1) For RC’s one of the best guides, with explanation covering different types of RC passages. Each answer is covered with care for MINUTIAE . Go through these books, in a way as to bolster your REPERTOIRE of RC cracking skills, rather than a normal exercise book. 

2) WEBSITES: memrise.com –An excellent way to assimilate vocab. If you have an Android phone, use the Painless Gre app. It does the same thing.

codecoax.com – This PLETHORA of rc’s is a boon for us. The only FALLACY, passages with 8 questions no longer feature on the GRE. But, I would strongly suggest you to do this. {It is akin to Sachin Tendulkar preparing for Dale Steyn, with a balling machine set at 170 kmph. After he manages to hit that bowling machine out of the park, Dale Steyn at 150kmph, would be like facing Ashish Nehra on his worst day.  } I had finished around 70-80 passages.

3)Manhattan 5 pound book: It has a vast number of sums, solve only those that you are falling short in. 
4) ETS OG: Some of the ETS OG quant sums are often repeated in the GRE, word for word, {as if a really bored paper setter didn’t do his job , but I DIGRESS
5) Magoosh Prep: Sign up for a 1 week premium (FREE,FREE,FREE) account on magoosh exactly a week prior to your GRE. It gives you access to every sum and lesson magoosh offers. Besides, after solving 50 sums , you will get a projected score, my projected scores were (161-166 Q, 160-165 V), they are pretty credible.

MOCK TESTS: Give the Manhattan ones, if you buy any one strategy guide, you will get access to them. 
Don’t give the Barron’s ones. Barron’s has refused to move on from the old gre, and continues to sell old gre material disguised in a new package. Kaplan verbal on the tests is pretty good, quant is really easy. Princeton verbal is really really difficult, you will get an indicator though where you stand.
Getting access to these tests is explained in the FILES section of the group. Give tests 15-20 days before your gre. 

POWERPREP’s are really important and valuable, make sure, you give them in an exam environment, if possible, the exact time duration when you are going to give your tests. 

Also, give one test (not POWERPREP) in the worst possible condition. What do I mean by that? My worst possible situation theory is that, since I am a night person, I woke up at 3 am, and in conditions where I was plagued by sleep, and was SOPORIFIC to the core, I gave the test. This will help you to make sure that even on your bad day you know what you will score. 

______________________________________________________________________
Now a bit aside from all this, GRE is only a way to get to your graduate school, not the ONLY WAY. Although a good score is desirable, make sure you understand that the journey is much more important. Think of verbal as a means of boosting your vocabulary. Get into a habit of reading magazines with scholarly content, I prefer The Economist, but the HINDU editorial on Sunday is a good alternative.I hope this inspired or helped atleast a few souls!Fight for what you want, with a picture of what you think it will get you. Think of it as I am doing it for a smile on my mums face, or showing the world what I am made of.Dream of the adulation or praise that you would get and keep working hard. I would end with Rocky Balboa’s words, 

The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. 
"
And yes, beer tastes much better immediately after your gre!  Cheers. Do well.

3 comments:

  1. Arun Prasad? How did you post this here without my consent man! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. sir i want to access magoosh 50 sums which give the projected score how can i make it and it is free or i have to pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great articles, first of all Thanks for writing such lovely Post! Earlier I thought that posts are the only most important thing on any blog. But here at Shoutmeloud I found how important other elements are for your blog.Keep update more posts..
    GRE Training in Chennai

    ReplyDelete