Tuesday 27 August 2013

Pranjal Haridas 321 (Q 168, V 153)

My GRE Experience

Hi friends, i had my GRE on 26th august. I scored 321 (verbal-153, quant- 168).
I started my preparations roughly around last week of june. I am working with a fertilizer industry, so 8-6 job takes the day time plus u dont really get a lot of leaves. so basically, all these days i studied for like 2-3 hours daily with marathons on sundays.

Coming to gre experience, i was really nervous before the exam. quant was my forte. I had a target of 325 (170, 155) in mind. Personally i felt quant was tougher than i expected. verbal was actually simpler than i thought and practiced in mocks.

Quant:
quant was comparatively tough, there were a lot of questions on statistics. 4 in one of the sections and 2 in other two. Yes, quant was my experimental section (thank God for that). also, questions related to probability and geometry were lill tricky. i had a strategy for this section. I solved everything in sequence till ques no. 13, it usually took me around 15-17 mins. then i mark and skip the DI and jump to Q.17. solve the last 4, of which one usually have multiple correct ans. and i felt last 4 were lill tricky everytime. so solve them in next 7-8 mins and now again to DI for the last 10 mins. it helped me big time to manage time and maximize the quant score.

Verbal:
I practiced verbal using 'gre word list' in vocabulary.com
i found this tool extremely helpful in remembering the words. for the last week, i just worked on high frequency words (333 from baron) and practiced word groups (from annexure of Kaplan book). Word groups helped me tremendously in SE. if it weren't for word groups, i dont think i wud have scored 150+ in verbal.
In gre, SC and SE were very simple but RCs were tough. one of the RCs was huuuuuge. of course it had 4 questions on it, but still it was huge. small RCs were relatively easier.

and yeah, 1 snickers and a red bull for 10-min break
I hope my gre experience would be helpful. Cheers friends 

8 comments:

  1. Good score in gre is possible but only required hardworking

    gre test reading

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't agree more. Hardwork is key to success :)

      Delete
  2. I am glad the experience was of some use. happy to help. Thank you, I appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take test in India or US?

    ReplyDelete
  4. annexure of Kaplan book I did not find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing your Experience about GRE. So mastering 3000+ GRE Word List is sufficient to crack GRE Verbal?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd even recommend some of the classic papers or surveys of classic papers as reading material over a general subject test.

    GRE preparation

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for sharing valuable experience with us. can you attach any reference model to make it. expected more detailed information.
    Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete