Wednesday 11 September 2013

Saurav Tripathy (319 (Q-165, V-154))

Score : 319 (Q-165, V-154)
Section Order : QVQVQ
Practice Tests : ETS - 320,322 (pretty accurate!)
Manhattan - 316, 318

QUANT:

The first two quant sections seemed pretty similar in difficulty. The last one had very basic questions - must have been the experimental one.
The Manhanttan set is quite comprehensive. 5 lb covers all kinds of quesitons.The practice tests are very useful. If you are starting out, no need for any other material.

Magoosh - This deserves every bit of praise. Almost all questions were very similar to the ones in the website.

VERBAL:

Studied for 3 days . [I just aimed for a high quant score] Used only Magoosh (again!) videos. If you think their maths section is good, english is extraordinary! Its all about sentence structure in the GRE. I didn't even come across a single unknown word. But the Magoosh (yet again!!) vocab ebook helped a lot with multiple meanings of words and their usage.

For RC tactics, I also referred the Aristotle GRE Verbal Grail - very systematic and thorough.

ESSAY:

Issue - I got the same essay described as an example in the Magoosh (seriously stop now!! :P).
Argument - Breezed through. Used the tactics shown in M...well, yeah. Best $99 dolars ever spent (yet :))

Overall, focus on tricky quant questions and practice RC like crazy!

Now, I have 2 questions:
1. I wrongly entered a US school for my UG. What do I do now ? 
2. (Silly) Is the score that we see once the test is over, the final one ? I mean is there any chance the final scores might change (read increase :P). I was kinda expecting more in quants :|

3 comments:

  1.  GRE exam is a requirement for admission in such programs i.e. Masters, PhD etc. But no where in the world..., they use it to grade your PhD or your working during PhD.

    gre verbal preparation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. Thanks for sharing the GRE experience.If you are willing to get the aspired University, you must take dedicated GRE Test Preparation.There are many institutes which offers you GRE Admission Counseling Programs.
    Regards,
    GREedge

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have truly loved browsing your blog posts. After all I will be subscribing for your rss feed and I am hoping you write again soon
    Study Abroad Consultants in Chennai

    ReplyDelete