Wednesday 25 September 2013

Nithanth Kudige GRE - 324 (168Q + 156V)

Hello everyone! I finished my GRE and TOEFL a few days ago and hadn't posted here in a while. So, here it is, big thanks to all of you for contributing problems and solutions to the group, they sure helped!

My scores:
GRE - 324 (168Q + 156V) + 5.0 AWA
TOEFL - 115

Nothing special but I am satisfied with them. Thanks again and good luck to you guys as well! (I might still occasionally solve problems here when I'm bored though)

P.S. - I had already posted that a few days ago but didn't have enough time to write in detail. Wrote now, and it got too long to post as a comment in my previous thread, so making a new post instead. 

Preparation:

I did a lot of Magoosh (80% of their math problems and 60% of their verbal problems) and think they're totally awesome. Personally, I think Magoosh is a far better resource (both for learning and practicing) than anything else out there, including Manhattan 5lb. I did a bit from 5lb. (around 30% maybe) simply because I purchased it and didn't want to let it go to waste. 

Apart from that, majority of my preparation happened through practice tests. I get very lazy and casual solving problems in a non-test format, so I chose this path. In all, I took maybe 10-15 full length tests, including those from Princeton, Manhattan, Magoosh and PowerPrep.

Math: 
I was consistently scoring upwards of 165 in math right from the Princeton diagnostic test before starting any prep, so I didn't see the need to follow any strategy guides. Instead, after each practice test, I spent some time revising topics I'd made mistakes in.

What's important for GRE math is CONCEPTS, and NOT memorizing formulas. I cannot stress this enough! You can solve EVERY problem if you have a good grasp on the topic, but even with a ton of formulas stored in your head, you may not score a 165+ score. This here is the biggest GRE math tip anyone can give you.

Verbal:
I HATE memorizing and SUCK at it, but I was told that there was no other choice, so I started with The Hit Parade (Princeton). Somehow managed to go through the 6 groups (with a memory retention rate of around 80%) but I was fed up by then and did not touch the "additional groups". I started focusing on techniques instead.

SE, TC - Stick to the clues given in the sentences. If possible, come up with your own answers before looking at the choices. Do not stray from options supported by explicitly stated facts, however tempting others may be.

RC - Again, if it's not explicitly stated, it is not true. Process of elimination works best here (spot all unlikely answers rather than one likely answer).

If there's a 3-4 question RC passage, skip it and save it for last.

AWA:
I did the mistake of taking AWA for granted. Didn't touch it till 3 days before the exam. When I finally did, I got shit scared because my first attempt yielded pathetic results (only issue essay though, argument ones are very easy). Do NOT make the same mistake! Don't skip AWA in mock tests. Write SOMETHING, even if you're really bored and can only manage to write a couple of paragraphs. It'll definitely help at the end. I managed to do 3 issue essays and 3 argument essays for practice but got lucky at the test and it went pretty well. Not everyone gets lucky all the time though. 

General tips:

- Write lots of mock tests (at least 5) so that you get used to the format; by the time you write GRE, it'll be a routine for you, and probably also reduces nervousness.

- Don't get complacent after doing well in PowerPrep tests. I scored 329 in both PowerPrep tests with 170Q and 159V (yes, exactly the same scores in both sections in both tests) but look what happened in the end! -__-

- If the invigilators at the test center start chatting with one another during your test, please do not hesitate to politely ask them to SHUT THE FUCK UP. This happened to me when I was trying to read through a long RC passage but was too much of a wuss to shut them up right there right then. I regret it now.

- Arrive at the test center early and use the extra time to relax. There's nothing worse than to start the test in a stresed out state.

AWA Tips

- First and foremost, don't skip AWA sections during practice tests

- Don't use a word you're not very familiar with. There's nothing worse than using a word incorrectly, no matter how "cool" you may think its usage is going to make you
 seem. It's important to remember that AWA tests your critical thinking and analytical writing skills; not how well versed you are with abstruse words.

- Transition from one body paragraph to another smoothly, especially in the issue essay. If you're targeting 4.5 or higher, you might want to write something more intriguing than 'firstly', 'secondly', 'finally'.

- When I write an argument essay, I make sure each body paragraph addresses all the following:
i) what the flaw is and how/why it is a flaw.
ii) how the argument may be strengthened (or flaw eliminated).
iii) why it is important not to overlook the flaw (in other words, consequences of ignoring the flaw)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for Sharing your Experience Nithanth. One should take sincere efforts during their GRE Test Preparation to obtain the Good GRE Score and aspired Universities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great post! I will definitely share this with two of my friends preparing for GRE, I really want to help them. They helped me a lot in finding the best LSAT Prep Course for me. Today I am very confident that I will clear this exam with flying colors and will get a school of my choice.

    ReplyDelete