Tuesday 1 October 2013

Sumoni Hfg (GRE Score: 305/159Q/146V)

Firstly my preparation time period:
Well, Last year I had joined KP Singh here in Mumbai which started in AUgust and continued till March, but seriously it was utter waste of money and time, as the things those guy's taught us was good but not to the level of GRE, all the did was explain some basic concepts which we can even get from Internet.
So, seriously I prepared for only 45 Days, as I was pretty much decent in my Quants{Although my marks suggests otherwise, but believe me I am}, I concentrated more on Verbal.
For first 30 days: 2 hours a day{of which 1 hour was spent in this groups solving questions posted by others}
Last 15 days: 5-7 hours.

My Center: Prometric Testing Center, Aditya Insititute of Management, Borivali, Mumbai
The center was pretty much decent, the security check took about 15-20 mins which includes filling up a form taking oath that we will not share the questions which come in examination to anybody {Well, that was a joke :D}
after that you need to again do security check up and then you will be called upon and you will be asked to verify your details once again and if any correction you should call ETS Guy's before hand and then on the test day, they will help you change it.

About my Exam.
I got VQVQV.
1st Verbal: 1st verbal was of medium difficulty as the words were decent and something which I had learnt/heard before. I got 1 long RC of some 5 odd paras on Literature which had 4 questions.
1 short RC for inference type questions{Strengthen/Weaken the RC}
1 short RC with 1 questions
1 Medium RC with 3 questions
SE was a bit difficult as the words were pretty close to each other and the it was difficult to make a calculated guess also.
TC's were as comparable to Powerprep test.

1st Quant: The disaster.
Quants being the strong point I was pretty surprised with the lengthy and tricky sums which showed in my Exam, although I almost completed my exam apart from 1 question, which I could not enter the number as the time was over 
3 Stats question, 1 probability, 3 absolute value, 3 geometry, 2 Co-Ordinate geometry, 2 PNC

2nd Verbal:This one was difficult.
This section was the most difficult of all the sections, and I was reading questions, I felt that looks like I did pretty good in my first section that's why the level of the questions is difficult that normal.
Anyways, I got 3 medium RC's {No Long RC's, sad as I love long RC's }
and I got 3 TC which was triple blanks {Disaster as those triple blank were of atleast 4 lines and difficult to understand :(}
I completed this section in 28 mins, for 2 mins I rechecked the answer's again 

2nd Quants: Worst DI.
This section was also of medium difficulty level as apart from DI, almost all the sum's were solvable but lengthy which involved quite a lot of calculation and multiple concepts.
The DI was worst of all, it took me 15 mins to solve 2 DI questions and atlast I had to randomly mark my 3 DI questions {For your knowledge, DI was my strong point}.
DI had 1 pie diagram, 6X8 Data and 4 lines each questions which took 2 mins to understand on what actually they were asking 
Anyways, in this section I had to miss last question due to time constraint 

3rd Verbal: Most easiest of all verbal section.
Nothing to say much, this section had some easy questions and no long RC's although 3 medium RC's were difficult to get in first attempt, but was manageable.

AWA: I got one on "Society Enhancement by questioning authority} {It's there in ETS pools
and 1 on Industry change based on Survey.

Material Used:
Quants: there's no better book than Manhattan set of 6 strategy guides for Quants and Magoosh videos for clearing your concepts.
For practise, I used Nova, Manhattan 5LB and some part of Magoosh also.
I believe Magoosh is the closest to GRE {Mark my word for this statement}

Verbal: 
I bought Manhattan Reading Comprehension Guide {Hardcopy} and read it's strategy, it does help it seriously as I could increase my accuracy in Essay from 305 to 50-60%.
for SC/TC/SE, Magoosh Videos will suffice.

Words: I did only 333 barrons and grouping of words which did help eventually.

MY Mock scores:
I only gave Powerprep
PP1:310
PP2:310

I will update later on what strategy to use, as I am retaking it again and will post the exact strategy that I am gonna follow this time around to cross 315 barrier,

I am retaking on 315, anyone up for it?

1 comment: